What to look for in a stallion prospect
The key things to look for in a stallion prospect are
- Outstanding pedigree
- Success on the track
- 2yr old performance / success
- Are you likely to want to send your mare to this stallion for three years, or is it likely that you will be able to sell your nomination/s?
- What type of mares will he attract? The quality of mares is vital, without good mares, the chance of producing great types is obviously significantly reduced.
- Is the proposed service fee appropriate?
- Does the proposed stud have a reputation for being able to market stallions effectively? Good stallion marketing is vital to the commercial success of a stallion.
- Do the stallion syndicators have a good reputation and management system?
Keep in mind that you will also incur your proportion of the stallion’s upkeep, including veterinary expenses, marketing and advertising costs and possible travel expenses.