Turnbull Stakes Facts Pack
Some facts about the Group One Turnbull Stakes (2000m) run at Flemington on Saturday.
* First run in 1948 when won by Beau Gem.
* Handicap until 1963. Weight-for-age 1964-70. Now run as set weights and penalties race.
* Run over 2400m from 1948-70.
* Group One since 2006.
* Notable winners include: Comic Court (1949-50); Rising Fast (1954); Redcraze (1955); Tobin Bronze (1966); Galilee (1968); Leilani (1974); Denise’s Joy (1976); Dulcify (1979); Vo Rogue (1987-88); Super Impose (1989); Better Loosen Up (1990); Sunline (2001); Northerly (2002); Elvstroem (2004); Makybe Diva (2005).
* Multiple winners: Comic Court (1949-50) and Vo Rogue (1987-88).
* In 1994 Paris Lane was first past the post but the race was awarded to Redding on protest.
* Horses to have won Turnbull-Caulfield Cup double in last 20 years: Elvstroem (2004); Northerly (2002); Sky Heights (1999); Let’s Elope (1991).
* Horses to have won the Turnbull-Cox Plate double in last 20 years: Makybe Diva (2005); Northerly (2002); The Phantom Chance (1993); Better Loosen Up (1990).
* Horses to have won Turnbull-Melbourne Cup double in the last 20 years: Makybe Diva (2005); Let’s Elope (1991).
* Makybe Diva claimed the Turnbull-Cox Plate-Melbourne Cup treble and Northerly the Turnbull-Caulfield Cup-Cox Plate treble.
* Trainers who have won it and have starters this year: Bart Cummings – Viewed, Roman Emperor, Joe Blow (Let’s Elope 1991); Mark Kavanagh – Maldivian (Devil Moon 2007); David Hayes – Zagreb (Better Loosen Up 1990).
* Jockeys who have won it and have a ride this year: Damien Oliver – Vigor (Sky Heights 1999, Marble Halls 1997); Danny Nikolic – Red Ruler (Sphenophyta 2006).