Some facts about the Manikato Stakes
Some facts about the weight-for-age Group One Manikato Stakes (1200m) at Moonee Valley on Friday night.
* Originally known as the Freeway Stakes and renamed in 1984 after champion sprinter Manikato who won the race in 1979 and 1982.
* First contested in 1968 and won by Winfreux.
* Notable past winners of the coveted sprint include Vain (1969), Dual Choice (1970-71), Century (1972), Tauto (1973-74), Manikato, Strawberry Road (1983), Rubiton (1987), Dane Ripper (1998), Redoute’s Choice (1999), Sunline (2000), Spinning Hill (2002-03), Spark Of Life (2004-05), Miss Andretti (2006) and Gold Edition (2007).
* Horses to win the Manikato and the Cox Plate in the same year: Strawberry Road (1983), Rubiton (1987) and Sunline (2000).
* Trainers Bob Hoysted and Bart Cummings have won the race four times each. Hoysted scored with Scamanda (1976), Manikato (1979 and 1982) and Touch Of Genius (1985) and Cummings with Century (1972), Lord Dudley (1975), Never Undercharge (1993) and Dane Ripper (1998).
* Jockeys riding in this year’s race who have won it before: Damien Oliver – Apache Cat (Sonic Express 1991, Dane Ripper 1998); Glen Boss – Turffontein (Spark Of Life 2005); Dan Nikolic – Mic Mac (You Remember 1995, Spark Of Life 2004); Stathi Katsidis – Phelan Ready (Gold Edition 2007); Craig Newitt – Wanted (Miss Andretti 2006).
* Trainers with runners who have won it before: Bart Cummings – Russeting (Century 1972, Lord Dudley 1975, Never Undercharge 1993, Dane Ripper 1998).
* Three-year-old winners: Vain (1969), Dual Choice (1970), Century (1972), Lord Dudley (1975), Touch Of Genius (1985), King Marauding (1992), Redoute’s Choice (1999). Phelan Ready and Wanted are the three-year-olds in the race this year.
* Mares have a good record in the race in recent years winning six of the past nine runnings: Sunline (2000), Piavonic (2001), Spinning Hill (2002-03), Miss Andretti (2006) and Gold Edition (2007). Russeting is the only mare contesting the race this year.