What to look for in a stallion prospect
The key things to look for in a stallion prospect are
- Outstanding pedigree
- Success on the track
- 2yr old performance / success
- Are you likely to want to send your mare to this stallion for three years, or is it likely that you will be able to sell your nomination/s?
- What type of mares will he attract? The quality of mares is vital, without good mares, the chance of producing great types is obviously significantly reduced.
- Is the proposed service fee appropriate?
- Does the proposed stud have a reputation for being able to market stallions effectively? Good stal
- Do the stallion syndicators have a good reputation and management system?
Keep in mind that you will also incur your proportion of the stallion’s upkeep, including veterinary expenses, marketing and advertising costs and possible travel expenses.
Back to Stallion Shares